- How do I get a copy of a birth or death certificate?
- How do I get a copy of an obituary or death notice?
- How do I get a copy of a marriage record?
- How do I get a copy of a divorce record?
My Library Account
- How do I get a library card?
- How many items can I check out at a time?
- Do I have to return items to the library where I checked them out?
- How can I make a donation or gift to the library?
- I have forgotten my PIN. How can I reset it?
- How do I change the address on my library account?
- Why am I getting the message that there is a problem with my account when I try to log in?
- How do I access databases and other online resources from home?
- Does the library offer test proctoring services?
- How do I suggest an item for purchase by the library?
- Can I borrow items from another library?
Working at the Library
To obtain copies of birth or death records, contact:
- Death records from 1997 to present for the entire state of Minnesota
- Death records from 1870 to present (approximately) for Ramsey County
Minnesota Historical Society
Use the Obituary Request service from the Minnesota Historical Society
Contact Ramsey County Vital Records Department to obtain copies of marriage records, from 1850 to the present.
Cases prior to 1980: contact Ramsey County Civil Court.
Cases after 1980: contact Ramsey County Family Court.
Information about getting a Saint Paul Public Library card or registering your Minnesota library card at the Saint Paul Public Library.
Up to 100 items may be checked out per library card. Limits for specific formats are:
- Audiobooks on CD: 12
- Downloadable audiobooks: 12
- E-books from Cloud Library: 10
- E-books from OverDrive: 10
- Music CDs: 12
- DVDs: 12
- Passport to Play: limit of 1 per card per 7 days
You may return items to any Saint Paul Public Library location. When a library is closed, materials may be put in after-hours book returns.
Go to the My Account screen and click the "Forgot Your PIN?" button. Enter your name and barcode to have a PIN reset form sent to your email address.
Library staff can clear your PIN so you can set a new one, but they cannot see your PIN.
Address changes can be made in person at a Saint Paul Public Library location.
Please bring your card and a current picture ID with name and current address or a current picture ID and a piece of recently received mail with your name and current address. More information about library cards ...
The most likely situation is that your library card's registration has expired. Library card registrations are good for 2 years. Contact the library to get your card re-registered.
If you are not at the library, you can access most of the library's online resources by using your name, library card number, and PIN:
Many of our online resources are also available through the Electronic Library for Minnesota.
Information on test delivery at the library.
To suggest an item for purchase, please use our online form.
Using interlibrary loan services, you can borrow items from almost any library in Minnesota and beyond.
All hiring for the Saint Paul Public Library system is handled by the City of Saint Paul Human Resources Department, 400 City Hall Annex, 25 W. 4th St., Saint Paul, MN 55102.
Current job openings for the City are listed at http://www.ci.stpaul.mn.us/jobs. A recorded list is available at 651-266-6502.
Application information, rates of pay, and other related information are also available from the Human Resources Department's website.
Read about volunteering for the library.