Date: Jun 5th, 2011
Saint Paul, Minn. - Join the Saint Paul Public Library at Grand Old Day festivities on June 5, as the Library kicks off the 2011 Summer Reading Program. The day's activities will take place in the Whole Foods Market parking lot (located at Grand Ave and Fairview Avenue), near the Family Fun Zone on Grand Avenue. Events will include a children's parade, live music, magic and more for all ages.
The library's annual Summer Reading Program is for kids ages 0 to 18 and runs from June through August. Kids read what they choose and earn book rewards. The program aims to keep school children active in learning during the summer months.
"It is important to keep children engaged in reading throughout the summer to prevent them from falling behind when the school year begins again," said Karen Kolb Peterson, Youth Services Manager at Saint Paul Public Library. "Studies have shown that children cannot 'catch up' on their reading once school starts. It is easier to maintain their level of reading comprehension by reading throughout the summer."
The Summer Reading Program activities also are great for children who are not as confident in their reading skills, because they show kids that reading can be fun.
All 12 libraries of the Saint Paul Public Library and the Bookmobile host a variety of summer reading programs for children and their families, beginning with the Grand Old Day kick off on June 5.
Grand Old Day Activities:
9:45 a.m. (Registration at 9:15 a.m.): Kids Parade presented by Saint Paul Public Library. Dress up as your favorite storybook character and join the fun! Check in at the parking lot at Whole Foods Market on the corner of Grand and Fairview Avenues. The parade ends in Grand Old Day's Family Fun Zone. Whole Foods Market Family Fun StagePresented by Saint Paul Public Library Summer Reading Program
Noon to 4:30 p.m.: Join us for live music, magic and more for all ages! Pick up a Summer Reading Record to start earning book prizes and get a calendar of fun activities happening all summer long!
- Noon: Summer Reading Program Kickoff and Prizes
- 12:15 p.m.: Clementown-It's poetry put to music when Clementown performs songs from their CD, Polkabats and Octopus Slacks-The Music, based on the book by Calef Brown.
- 1 p.m.: Koo Koo Kanga Roo-Koo Koo Kanga Roo party is a dance extravaganza for all ages! Hear their catchy pop melodies and infectious dance beats.
- 1:45 p.m.: Brodini-Join the master of illusion in this fabulous magic program for all ages! Learn a new trick or two while participating in the show.
- 2:30 p.m.: Wendy's Wiggle, Jiggle and Jam-A highly interactive musical show that gives everyone a chance to be a star on stage. Original music, colorful and engaging props, and high energy keeps the audience participating throughout the program. There is always a focus on reading and having fun.
- 3:15 p.m.: Koo Koo Kanga Roo-Koo Koo Kanga Roo party is a dance extravaganza for all ages!
- 4 p.m.: The Lara's-Leo and Kathy Lara present an exciting program of Latin American folkloric music from the Andes Mountains, using a wide variety of authentic instruments, including the charango, cuatro, bombo, quena, and panpipes.
The Summer Reading Program is a collaboration between Saint Paul Public Library, Saint Paul Parks and Recreation, and The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library.
For more information about upcoming Summer Reading Programs activities and events at Saint Paul Public Library agencies, visit www.sppl.org.
Explore SprocketsSaintPaul.org for additional summer learning opportunities for children.