Your child's vocabulary and language skills grow through day-to-day conversations and experiences.
- Talk about what you are doing throughout your day. Ask questions and allow your child plenty of time to formulate answers. Then respond to extend the conversation.
- Include her in family conversations.
- Ask her open-ended questions and try to answer all of her "why" questions. Look up answers in a picture dictionary together.
- Tell stories about your day or make up stories together.
- Talk to your child in the language you know best. This allows you to explain things more fluently so your child will learn easily from you.
- Help her identify her emotions with words or names.
Chances to Chat
Every Child Ready to Read® @ your library® is a program of the Association for Library Service to Children and Public Library Association, divisions of the American Library Association. Every Child Ready to Read® @ your library® is a registered trademark and is used with permission.