Saint Paul newspapers, 1849 - present
For early dates, each page of newspaper must be checked, as a death notice could appear anywhere. Headings to look for include "Deaths," "Obituaries," "Funerals," "Died," or as one or two lines in a column reporting an accident.
Beginning around 1910, death announcements are typically found at the beginning of the classified advertisements. Sunday newspaper death announcements were not in any standardized place.
If the date of death is unknown, you may be able to determine a date using:
- Minnesota Death Certificate Index (1904-2001) 
- Deaths Recorded in St. Paul, Minnesota City Directories, 1888-1910  - available at Central Library 
Indexes & Online Newspapers
Pioneer Press and Dispatch indexes - available at Central Library 
- 1967-1980 - A cumulative name index is available.
- 1967-1971 - Check the annual index under the heading "Obits." These names are not included in the microfiche cumulative names list.
- 1981-1996 - Check the yellow "names" section of the annual index.
- 1988 - 1992 - News article obituaries only (prominent persons or newsworthy deaths).
- 1993 - present - Paid death notices are included.
Saint Paul Globe
- 1880 to April 30, 1905 - available online through Chronicling America .
- Print indexes covering 1971-1986 available at Central Library .
- Minneapolis Tribune 1867-1922  -- available online.
- Star Tribune online archive  - coverage from 1988 to present.
Copies of Obituaries or Death Notices
- Obituary Request service  from the Minnesota Historical Society - search services for obituaries and death notices appearing in most Minnesota newspapers.
- Email, call, or write  the Saint Paul Public Library reference department - service fees  apply for microfilm searches.
Copies of Death Certificates
The Saint Paul Public Library does not have death certificates in its collection. To obtain copies of death certificates, contact:
- Death records from 1997 to present for the entire state of Minnesota
- Death records from 1870 to present (approximately) for Ramsey County
- Copies of death certificates and cards, 1904-2001