Use interlibrary loan only to request items that are not available at the Saint Paul Public Library.
"Not available" means:
- The title is not owned by Saint Paul Public Library.
- The library owns the title, but all copies are long overdue or missing.
Check the Saint Paul Public Library catalog first.
If the item is not available, use MnLINK to request an interlibrary loan from libraries throughout Minnesota. If you can't find what you are looking for in MnLINK, please Ask a Librarian for assistance.
- Interlibrary loan requests that are placed for items owned by the Saint Paul Public Library will be canceled.
- New Items: If the item you are looking for has been published in the last 6 months, please make a suggestion for purchase instead of using interlibrary loan services.
You can have up to 10 active requests at a time. Requests are active from the time they are placed until the item has been returned to the owning library.
- Go to the MnLINK Gateway and click Login at the top of the page.
- Enter your library card number in the Library Barcode/User ID field.
- Leave PIN/Password empty.
- Select "St. Paul Public Library" from the drop-down menu marked Pickup Location.
- Click the Login button.
- Once you are signed in, start a search or click Advanced Search to get started.
- Enter your search terms or use the Advanced Search to find a record for the item you want.
- Choose a record for any location (MnLINK will automatically request the item from any library where it is available).
- Click Details for more information about the item.
- Click Get It! to request the item.
Clicking Get It! will bring up a request form, with most of the fields will already be filled in. Choose your pick-up location, fill in any other necessary information (such as edition, volume, or disc number) and click Request.
A confirmation number should display. This lets you know that the request has been successfully placed.
Your request will be sent electronically to every library in the state that owns the requested item. Libraries will check their shelves to see if it is available, and if it is, the item will be sentto Saint Paul. When it arrives, we will put it on hold for you at your chosen pickup location and notify you by email or telephone when it is ready to pick up.
Most requests are filed in two to three weeks, but some items take longer due to demand, how widely it is held, and delivery schedules.
New searches and checking requests
To return to your list of search results, click Search Results. Start a new search by clicking Basic Search or Advanced Search.
You can check the status of your request by clicking My Requests.
If you are finished, click Logout.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get the answers to frequently asked questions about interlibrary loan services.